Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Tami's Success Story


Consistency wins the race! Tami has been an awesome client to work with. Every single time we had weight and measurements she was consistently down 3-7 pounds in each five week interval. She has totally transformed her body with loosing over 45 pounds and 36 inches from her body. The reason for this success is her consistency with her choices. When she added a behavior change she stuck with it and is still seeing the benefits from the initial hard work each and every day. Help me in congratulating Tami on her success!

 
Here is Tami’s Journey in her own words:

Long ago, in college, I thought I was fat when I weighed 140 pounds.  That was the first time that I started dieting and really have done some sort of dieting ever since.  

Fast forward to March 2012 when my daughter started to workout with Ashley.  She was losing weight and having fun exercising and learning about nutrition and healthy lifestyles so, I decided that it seemed like a good idea to try it too. 

In addition to wanting to lose weight and be healthier, I had just been prescribed medication for my high cholesterol.  I was pretty sure that my lifestyle and weight was a big contributor to my need for medication.  In March 2013 at my yearly physical my doctor suggested that I go off of the medication because of my weight loss and exercise!  What a bonus, I’ve lost weight, feel great and have proven to be healthier. 

The biggest things that Tami changed in order to be successful:

I knew from the start that my biggest issues were mindless eating and polite eating.  I think everyone knows what mindless eating is, for us it was standing at the kitchen counter mowing through snacks while trying to decide what to have for dinner.  Polite eating is what I call it when you go to someone’s house for a gathering and there is a spread of food, including everyway that you can possibly use cream cheese.  Then I would mound my plate with food because, for some reason, I thought people cared what I was eating.  Once I started working out with Ashley I found that if I eat correctly during the day and make a plan for dinner, I could cut out many calories of mindless eating.  I also found out that no one cares what I’m eating at a gathering, everyone is way more concentrated on their own plate (BTW, I always bring things that are healthy to gatherings and they go as quickly as the delicious cream cheese items!)

Tami’s biggest surprise from the journey:

How patient I have been.  I had a lot of work to do and once I relaxed and realized that it didn’t matter how long it was going to take, that this is a lifelong change not a quick fix, everything seemed to fall into place.  It helped so much that my 2 daughters are also working with Ashley and that my husband is a HUGE supporter of the changes.  He has learned to love protein shakes and making new recipes and changing his habits too. 

Tami’s Favorite exercise:

Riding my bike around Lake Monona !  But, as a lifetime ‘wanna be’ runner, I decided now was the time to learn to run.  I have completed two 5 K’s and am working towards a 10K in the fall.  I’m slow but steady and have learned to look forward to my runs.

Tami’s advice/suggestions to others:

Put less focus on eating and more on exercise.  I can honestly say that I don’t feel like I diet anymore, I’ve really just changed the way I eat.  Try new things, even things that you thought you would never like, and then try them again.  Sometimes you have to give new things a few tries!  Try to find a good balance in the food that you eat and your exercise routine and remember to give yourself a break once in a while.

My favorite ‘Ashley’ saying is “Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels”! 
 
I know it’s a lifelong journey and I’m so happy to have taken the first step!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment